Creating Space & Life- Remodel

    A few years back we were thinking about moving.  We were looking for a bigger house with some property.  After looking for almost a year in this crazy housing market we decided we would just create our dream home in our current space.  It was a great decision and we learned a lot!  My next couple blogs will be about how I decided to Create My Space. I wasn't just remolding for me, it was for my husband, for our future, and to make a place that was ours.   We may have been doing it for the dog too, he seems to love it!



We updated our living room, kitchen and bath.  Some of this we hired out and some we did ourselves.    The first step was figuring out the color scheme.  I was painting the living room, kitchen, hallways and down to our finished basement. Pinterest was my by best friend in doing this.  I looked up the color schemes I liked and saved them to my remodel Pin.  Once I narrowed down the color scheme I was going with, I went and bought samples of those colors.  This next step was so important, and I'm so glad I did it.  I cleaned a spot on my wall and painted all these samples right next to each out.  This helped me decide what paint color I wanted where. It's amazing how different paint looks in real life compared to photos.  Below is the color sample and the example of how I painted it on my walls.  Make sure to tape off your space before you paint and try over lapping to see what you like! 


    I painted these samples several weeks before I had to pick out my paint colors.  That way I got to see them morning, afternoon and night.  I was surprised how the natural lighting of my house helped me make informed decisions about what color to use.  It gave me time to think, and make a plan on where to use these colors in my space.  Plus, it gave me time to talk with my hubby about the paint choices and get his help in deciding our next step.   Below are a few of the almost finished spaces.  You also will noticed we painted the walls before we put our flooring in, this made painting much easier! 



In this remodel we knocked down two walls and cut the opening to our basement in the picture on the left above.  This opened up are living room into the kitchen, and down to the basement.  The paint colors we used in these pics are Storm Cloud, Elder White and Outerspace.  The dark Outerspace color is in the picture on the right.  Behind our dog Barkley.  I was a little nervous using this dark color, but using the color pallet on the wall, and truly thinking about where to put what, helped me feel confident in my decision.  

One last idea I had while doing our remodel was keeping everything in a note pad.  I kept pictures of what I wanted, the estimates for what we had to hire out, and took the book with me everywhere I went.  From to picking out the floors to picking out trim.  if you are remodeling I recommend running to your nearest dollar store to grab a note book. I kept the following items in my notebook;
  • Measurements of each room we were remodeling. 
  • The price of each bid, and information about that contractor.
  • List of supplies needed for each room.
  • Printed out pictures of ideas and matched them with paint color.
  • Printed out the pant color pallet to take with me to the flooring store.  (The flooring store should allow you to take samples home.  I also took advantage of this.  We were not buying a new living room set so I wanted to make sure these color schemes matched my current furniture).



As I mentioned my next few blogs will be about the remodel and updates I did to Create My Space.  I learned a lot during this remodel.  My first piece of advice for remolding is patience  (which I have none of!).  It takes time and doesn't happen overnight.  I'm still doing updates to bring it all together.  Hopefully this next couple blogs will help you with a remodel or just a refresh of your space.  Make it your own, take your time and enjoy it.  Be thoughtful so you can Create Your Space. 

Here are a few snips of living room and dinning area.  If you like what you see, visit my Pinterest account to learn more!  Our space is a small cozy living space so being thoughtful about how you decorate is key. 




Pinterest

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remodel-Fun Part!

Hello! Here We Go